Nothing, save for the fact that using tanning lotions for tanning is like using toothpaste for brushing your teeth. Without it, tanning is pointless.
Not all tanning lotions are created equal. So how does one choose the right lotion? Tanning lotions should be chosen based on one’s skin type and the desired goal. Indoor tanning lotions are generally broken up into the following categories. Please note, however, they can be mixed together to obtain that perfect bronzed glow!
The top three types of tanning lotions:
1. ACCELERATOR/INTENSIFIERS: These indoor tanning lotions are great for a beginning tanner with exceptionally pale or sensitive skin. Many of these have great anti-aging elements in them like CoQ-10. These lotions contain no DHA, no added color, and contain tyrosine and peptides to make the melanin rise in your skin.
2. BRONZER: These are by far the most popular tanning lotions on the market. UV rays activate the DHA these lotions contain. This lotion will keep tanning you up to 12 hours after a tanning session.
3. NATURAL BRONZER: This lotion contains added color to give immediate color. They will NOT continue to intensify the tan after the tanning session. They won’t streak.
Other types of tanning lotions:
4. TINGLE: This type of lotion will get you the darkest the fastest. Melanin rises the quickest with this type of lotion. This indoor lotion will stimulate your skin, causing it to redden and become irriatated. This effect can last for hours and result in an itchy feeling. If you have small children, these lotions can rub off on their skin with the same effects, so make sure you rinse off before touching them. Combine them with a good bronzer to ensure a beautiful, dark tan in no time.
5. WARMER: This lotion has a warming effect that will help achieve a deeper bronze, and moisturize the skin at the same time. It is also beneficial for evening out skin tone.
6. BLUSH: This lotion will give a red hue for that “just off the beach” look.
7. COCKTAIL: These lotions contain no silicon and provide a better canvas for those following their UV session with a spray tan.
8. FACIAL TANNERS: The skin on your face is thinner and more sensitive than the rest of your body and since fat tans faster, it is important to use a facial tanner to get the most complete tan. These lotions or non-comodegenic, not as harsh, and help prevent wrinkling.
At Tan It All, we are dedicated to providing our tanners with the very best. As such, we offer a wide selection of superior quality brands like Designer Skin, Australian Gold, Swedish Beauty and California Tan. Check us out on Facebook to see which are our exclusive staff picks!